Top Social

Law School Episode 12 Thoughts!!!

26 Aug 2022

Hello everyone!


Few weeks ago, I've finished this one drama JTBC Law School. I am not a fan of legal drama as I find myself always getting lost in the process of it, my mind is too slow to catch up the fast-pace storyline of legal dramas. I've watched some before, but never particularly being too much invested into it. This is the very first legal drama that my mind actually enjoy! Though the main premise is about revealing the truth of the murder of Professor Seo Byung Ju, I would say that wasn't the main focus of this drama. One by one, the story unravel the truth and secrets of each of the students (that epic squad), each of them have their own backstory and goals they want to achieve. And coincidentally, all are related to Prof Seo Byung Ju. His death was the trigger of the further action taken by the students.


---

I've written a rant on this one episode that literally keeps me on the edge of my sit the whole hour, and let me ponder upon it for a long time;

SPOILER ALERT (Episode 12) !!!



1. Power manipulation over law 

As we can see, that scumbag Assemblyman Ko diverted all the media attention to Bad Fama Case. He garnered all his resources to sweep his son's case under the rag. It disgusted me to see the law OBEYED down to his power even though law supposed to possess the authority power above everything. This reflects the sickening situation in our world where the law only protects those who have the power, and instead, did injustice to the poor citizens. It was utterly satisfying to see Professor Attorney Yang to go against the odd and won the trial without any dirty tactics, instead just sticking to the facts and logic. As usual, I am the most invested during Professor Yang's courtroom/lecture session. The fact he got to pull back the audiences judgement from getting swayed by the crafted story of the prosecutors, to stick to the fact and logic reasoning amazed me. Also, I love how the juries leaned to Professor Yang's explanation of ''beyond reasonable doubt'' by the end of the trial, which pretty much explains his internal skills in lecturing criminal law in a simpler form even for those who have the slightest knowledge of the legal terms! 

This reminds me to a famous saying: 

''If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself''. 

- Albert Einstein 


I can't wait for Assemblyman Ko AND his son to get pushed down the hill of destruction and shame. Gosh knows what disaster could be with the existence of those kind of monsters in our society, even worse when possessing the POWER above citizens' life!



2. Professor's Yang Undivided Attention Towards His Students

As we all know. He is notorious popular as the 'Killer Lecturer' aka Yangcrates. Yup as in Yang (His Last/Family name) + Socrates, the notable Greek Philosopher. Though torturing students the most mentally is what they see of him, but deep inside, he actually have a great attention and care towards his own students. And obviously he won't say it out aloud nor admit it.


He would be the epitome of  "Action speak louder than words."


   Though he is cornered in the corner because of his trial, he still came out and volunteered to be Ye-Seul's lawyer when no lawyer dare to represent her in afraid of Jerk Ko. His decision of requesting a jury trial was a double-edge sword decision, but we all know he would never take a risk without having an incredible plan in the back of his mind. 

   I think the most emotional scene was when he 'resigned' as her lawyer, because 'his client herself is not defending herself'. He turned the situation into lecturer-student interrogation situation just like in his usual lecturers, driving Ye-Seul into objectively study her own case. Though it was mentally cruel, but it was the last strike needed for Ye-Seul to make her own breakthrough and save herself. 

Which brings me to the last discussion;



3. Ye-Seul Defying The Victim-Blaming Projection

Since the start of the accident, she's been apologizing to that jerk ex of her as she still believes that it was her fault. The people on his side has been keeping her on edge by manipulating her into thinking she committed a fatal crime and responsible for life. But after Professor Yang turned the trial into his 'lecture' session in which they are 'studying' Ye-Seul's case, he let Ye-Seul to break through her situation and see herself objectively from a third-point-of view.


   You know that we tend to give advice or a way out to others easily, but not to ourselves when we are in a freaking same situation? It's because we are trapped in our own jumble of feelings and judgements, clouded by these internal and external factors that impeded us from helping our own self from the disasters.


   I think Professor Yang's way of leading her to see her own self from the third eyes help her to think more rationally and not be apologetic to whatever guilts she had before. And this was the scene that leaves me in awe. And makes me realize how easy it is for people to set us in this cage of self-blaming, projecting all the blames to the 'self-prisoner' in the cage, rather than extending a hand to help.


   I'm really glad that in the end, Ye-Seul managed to stand on her own feet, defending her own self without needing to depend on the others. The writer is so brilliant to make the event turn this way. It's even more impactful than letting Professor Yang giving out logic arguments that could turn the trial over in a second, finishing it all by once. Insted, the writer-nim let Ye-Seul to shine and hold the ultimate power. I think this scene was so gripping and emotional, and I hope this will inspire the poor souls who are in the same situation of her to stand up and defy all the resistance. 


---


Updates:

The last time I wrote this was on August 2021, and now it is the end of August 2022! I got tired of writing halfway because of the spiralling emotions inside me that is hard to explain by writing which got me frustrated because I was unable to convey my entire feelings and thoughts! ANyWay, after almost a year I came back to this draft that has been hiding in my blog for a year, and I think, it is actually already completed? I actually just need to refine a lil bit and just click the PUBLISH button. Being a perfectionist, it doesn't really baffle me why I left this when it was already 90% completed lol. But I think this is still worth it to be read by people, so.... here we go!



Please share me your thoughts too on this drama <3 I would love to read them! 



*pict courtesy of Pinterest








Post Comment
Post a Comment

Your thoughts

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature